Saturday, March 5, 2011

Balanced Translocation and Meeting

So....just heard back from the RE about our karyotyping results. Apparently both DH and I are freak shows! Not only do I have my own blood clotting disorders and embryonic toxic factor, but DH is a balanced translocation carrier of chromosomes 12 and 16. A balanced translocation can cause miscarriages, infertility, and/or birth defects of a baby.
We already knew this, but our daughter is an ABSOLUTE MIRACLE. Thank you, Lord God, for our miracle child. She is such a blessing.
I feel relieved that there is an answer to all of this heartache. There is a reason why all of it was happening to us. The RE wants us to speak to a genetic counselor at Maternal Fetal Medicine. I am very interested in this because I want to find out if our daughter is a carrier, as well, and if she will have reproductive problems in the future. I hope with all my heart that she is spared.
This diagnosis makes us even more confident in our decision to adopt. I felt as if God was telling me it was okay to start this journey on Thursday when I spoke to R, who is adopting through the same agency. Now, I feel like this is an actual sign that we are to move forward in the adoption process.
We met with the agency yesterday to ask more questions one-on-one and to get the process started. However, we are waiting because to be fair, they want some of the adoptive families that have been waiting for a while to be matched before they put us in the pool. She said we could get started on our profile and we could take educational classes through the agency as they come up, but we will have to wait a few months to begin the actual home study process. Disappointing, yes, but I am glad they are looking out for all parties involved, though. It shows me they are really thinking about the families.
We are excited to moving forward in this journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment